“…a combination of practical, emotional, intellectual, social, and spiritual support for those who have to make the journey. This workbook provides individual family members with greater awareness, knowledge, and skill to improve life, relationships, and care throughout the disease process.”
– Teepa Snow, MS, OTR/L, FAOTA
This book is a support group manual as well as a self-study guide for care partners of a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease or another type of dementia. It provides 10 lessons, each offering understanding, education, and hope.
- Brain structure and function
- Dementia types and symptoms
- Stages of dementia
- Changing relationships and grief
- Emotional and mental health challenges
- Attachment loss and challenging behaviors
- Communicating love and strengthening relationships
- Care at home vs. transition to residential care
- Care partner’s self-care and wellness
- Existential and spiritual issues
- Important questions for the doctor
Keeping Love Alive as Memories Fade: The 5 Love Languages and the Alzheimer’s Journey
Across America and around the world, the five love languages have revitalized relationships and saved marriages from the brink of disaster. Can they also help individuals, couples, and families cope with the devastating diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease?
Co-authors Shaw, Barr, and Chapman give a resounding “yes.” Their innovative application of the five love languages creates an entirely new way to touch the lives of the nearly six million Americans who have Alzheimer’s, as well as their fifteen million caregivers. At its heart, this book is about how love gently lifts a corner of dementia’s dark curtain to cultivate an emotional connection amid memory loss.
This collaborative, groundbreaking work between a physician, mental health counselor, and dementia caregiver (Shaw), healthcare educator (Barr), and world-renowned author and relationship expert (Chapman) will: provide an overview of the love languages and Alzheimer’s disease, correlate the love language and emotional needs of the person living with dementia throughout the different stages of their disease, discuss how both the care partner and care receiver can benefit from the love languages, address the challenges and stresses of caregiving, and offer personal stories and case studies to help those on the dementia journey maintain emotional connection and intimacy. Keeping Love Alive as Memories Fade is heartfelt and easy to apply, providing gentle, focused help for those feeling overwhelmed by the relational toll of Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. Its principles have already helped hundreds of families, and it can help yours, too
A Leader’s Manual for Dementia Care-Partner Support Groups
For use with The Dementia Care-Partner’s Workbook
If you are a medical, mental health, or other healthcare professional wanting to lead a support group for dementia care partners, or a layperson with a heart for those “on the journey,” A Leader’s Manual for Dementia Care-Partner Support Groups is the comprehensive resource you need.
The manual covers a broad range of topics including:
- Information about establishing and leading support groups
- Counseling skills for leaders/co-leaders
- Developmental phases of support groups
- Handling challenging group participants
- Step-by-step instructions on how to run each of the ten individual weekly meetings
- Meeting-specific handouts
- Baseline and end-of-group assessments
- Certificate of participation
- And lots of practical advice from co-authors Drs. Edward Shaw and Alan Wolfelt